Some situations are emergencies that require immediate action from emergency responders.
- Self-injury needing immediate medical attention
- Someone acting on a suicide threat
- Someone tells you they have recently taken an overdose or made some other suicide gesture
- A person is unresponsive
What to do in case of a mental health emergency:
Call the UMKC Police at (816) 235-1515 or the Kansas City Police at (816) 234-5510 or dial 911 for assistance.
Take the person directly to the emergency room at Truman Medical Center for Behavioral Health (1000 E. 24th St.) or St. Luke's Hospital (4401 Wornall).
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Line: 800-833-3915
- Get Help Now: 800-999-9999
- LGBTQ Helpline: 1-866-488-7386
- Veterans' Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255, then press 1
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention Among Asian Americans