Some situations are emergencies that require immediate action from emergency responders.
- Self-injury needing immediate medical attention
- Someone acting on a suicide threat
- Someone tells you they have recently taken an overdose or made some other suicide gesture
- A person is unresponsive
What to do in case of a mental health emergency:
Call 911 or call the MU Police Department at (573) 882-7201 or the Columbia Police Department at (573) 874-7652 for assistance.
Take the person directly to the emergency room at University Hospital (1 Hospital Drive) or Boone County Hospital (1500 East Broadway).
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Line: 800-833-3915
- Get Help Now: 800-999-9999
- LGBTQ Helpline: 1-866-488-7386
- Veterans' Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255, then press 1
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention Among Asian Americans